Archdiocese Links

Guardian Angels Parish

Guardian Angels Catholic Church

198 Bay Terrace
WYNNUM, Qld. 4178

Phone 3393-4980

Parish Priest Rev John Spiteri OFM Cap
Assisting in Parish Br Bernard Cunningham
Chaplain Nazereth House Rev Francis Perumaden
Secretary Ms Lorraine Endicott

Mass Centres
Iona College Chapel
85 North Road
WYNNUM WEST, Qld. 4178

St Joseph the Worker Hemmant
Cnr Youngs Rd & Peplow St
HEMMANT, Qld. 4174

Nazareth House
272 Wynnum North Road

Primary School

Guardian Angels School
188 Bay Terrace
WYNNUM, Qld. 4178

Phone 3396-4486 Fax 3348-4032

Principal Mr Peter Blundell


Secondary School

Iona College
85 North Road
LINDUM, Qld. 4178

Phone 3893-8888 Fax 3893-8800

Principal Michael Twigg, OMI



In 1904 a priest was appointed to serve as Parish Priest in the area. Reverend Father Thomas Enright celebrated his first Mass in the Wynnum Town Hall which then stood in Tingal Road. Though small, the congregation was enthusiastic and earnestly desired a church of their own to worship in. The church site was a gift to the parish from His Grace, the late Archbishop, Dr Dunne, who purchased the site at a cost of £420.

In April, 1905, the Church was officially opened, taking but a year to bring their work to a successful conclusion. The architect responsible was the late Mr. Galley, and Mr. J. Little was the builder. The School building foundation stone was laid by His Grace Archbishop Duhig, on 3rd May, 1914. The School was opened by His Grace, 4th October, of the same year. The Sisters of Mercy had a Convent built directly across
the street from the Church. The convent was blessed and opened by His Grace Archbishop Duhig on the 8th August, 1915, and was appropriately named Mount Carmel.

On the 22nd October 1945, four Capuchin friars arrived in Brisbane from New Jersey, USA. Fr Accursio Rasi, to be the superior of the Capuchin Mission in Australia and Fr Gabriel Italia, to be the Parish Priest.